Who we are
We are a Zürich-based design and development studio for human data interaction. We help organizations create experiences that make data understandable and actionable for everyone. Always putting people at the center of attention. We serve a broad range of clients in media, technology, healthcare, academia, government, and humanitarianism. Since 2010, UNESCO, OECD, WHO, Samsung, Swisscom, and many others trust us with their most ambitious work.
People who work at Interactive Things are passionate about their craft and collaborating with a team that brings together different backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Continuous improvement is at our core; we foster an environment where people can learn from each other and contribute to every aspect of the company. Our team is open to sharing what we do and know with the wider community.
Find out more about our purpose.
Who we’re looking for
We are open to candidates from all backgrounds. If you want to deepen your skills in creating data visualization for the web, this internship is for you. Some of our former interns joined us as design students, journalists, biologists, graphic designers, and software engineers. What’s important to us is that you have a basic understanding of the field and are eager to apply your skills in a professional context.
What you’ll achieve
- Learn to work: We want you to become a better designer and developer. To guide you on this journey, we have put together a practical and theoretical curriculum of data visualization design and development methods.
- Work to learn: Throughout our internship, you will improve and apply the skills you already have in real projects. We show you how to work in a cross-functional team of designers and developers to deliver digital products that solve our clients’ toughest challenges.
What we expect from you
- Exploratory mindset: Our biggest expectation is that you bring an open mind and an interest to design for people. We try our best to provide a nourishing and collaborative environment that is pleasant to work in. Your individual skills and ideas will be a great source of inspiration for all of us — we’re looking forward to getting to know you.
- Thematic interest: You are eager to learn how to build digital products that enable people to efficiently and effectively interact with data.
- Team collaboration: You thrive in a collaborative environment where colleagues from different disciplines are happy to provide assistance but also value your input and contribution.
- Technical basics: You have a basic understanding of the fields of data visualization and information design. You have some familiarity with modern web development with JS, CSS, and HTML.
- Bonus points: You have experience with building web applications with React or equivalent frameworks. You’re familiar with data analysis and have experimented with Python or R.
What we offer
- Fair pay: We offer a starting salary of CHF 2’000 per month including a comprehensive benefits package for this position.
- 40 hours workweek: We highly value a healthy work-life balance and offer a regular workweek of 40h on a 100% working schedule.
- Overtime compensation: We encourage and enable everyone on our team to compensate for overtime with personal time-off.
- Flexible work arrangement: We provide flexible working hours, the possibility to work part-time, and we are open to remote work, although some on-location presence is required.
- Paid company holidays: We offer company-wide holidays during the festive season in addition to four weeks of paid, personal vacation per year.
- Paid absences & parental leave: We offer two additional weeks of paid parental leave, including foster care and adoption. In the event of important family matters, we offer paid compassionate leave.
- Transparent salary system: We have a transparent salary and financial benefit system to ensure all employees are treated equally and fairly.
- Continuous education stipend: We sponsor the continuous education and professional development of our interns with a personal budget of CHF 1’000.
- Ergonomic workspace: We supply all employees with a dedicated, ergonomic workspace and all the tools they need to conduct their work in our studio in Zürich.
- Free lunch, snacks & drinks: We cover expenses for lunch on workdays and our studio offers plenty of snacks and drinks at your discretion.
Hybrid work mode
We believe in the power of shared, collaborative spaces but also value the flexibility of working remotely. This is why we live a hybrid work mode at our company. Two days a week you will be working at our beautiful studio in Zürich equipped with your own ergonomic workspace. Here you will experience a friendly and respectful environment where people matter the most. On the other workdays, you are free to work remotely. Plus, we offer up to 8 weeks per year of full remote work, where no in-person presence at our studio is required.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are important to us. We welcome all candidates irrespective of their identities, qualities, and experiences. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical conditions, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. When in doubt, please apply!
We only consider personal, direct applications. No agencies and recruiters, please.